sh.st/tVdGD sh.st/tCXMj News on METRIC, The Black Lips - cakar macan blog

Photo by Julie Michaud


Just in time for tax-day, Metric will be releasing their fourth full-length studio album, titled Fantasies.

Due out April 14th in US and Canada, Fantasies is unconventional from most studio albums - the band actually had to pay to finish it themselves. They set up their own label operation and assembled a team to release the album worldwide. “But we’re not doing it totally on our own” comments guitarist Jimmy Shaw. “In Canada it's coming out with Last Gang Records who released Live it Out, Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? and Grow Up and Blow Away. Our friends at Arts & Crafts will be releasing the album in Mexico. We’ve also set up distribution and hired our own staff to handle releasing the record in the USA, the UK, all throughout continental Europe, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. It’s pretty insane, but it’s really exciting. We might go down in flames, or it might be the best move ever. Either way, it will have been on our terms and for us that is success."

I'm not sure how it will work out, releasing the album this way, but regardless I'm probably going to pick up a copy because of how much in love I am with the first track on the album, "Help I'm Alive." From what I've heard of it so far, it's a delicate album that explores the band's electronic side while incorporating a good mix of meaty rock undertones and tight lyrical sidestepping.

We recommend dropping by the band's MySpace page to stream some songs, including the aforementioned "Help I'm Alive" (it's catchy, you'll see). If you love it as much as I do, make sure you preorder the album March 2 from the band's website on limited edition vinyl or CD, because you'll get a free MP3 of the song and more exclusive content.

Photo by Dan Monik

In other news, The Black Lips, fresh from getting chased from their tour in India, are offering up a brand new track for free for you to check out. "Short Fuse" comes off the soon to be released 200 Million Thousand, which is due to drop Feb 24th via Vice Records. You can check it out below:

Black Lips - "Short Fuse"


Wisconsinites can check out The Black Lips March 15 at the Turner Ballroom in Milwaukee.

 
Top