sh.st/tVdGD sh.st/tCXMj Monday night musings - cakar macan blog

That's the tax-rebate dance they're doing

It turns out our Monday night comedies are repeats tonight, so I'm back at the laptop, watching a little Anthony Bourdaine until either:

a) the ND-Marquette game heats up
b) "Cities of the Underworld" comes on (I found myself watching this show for like 4 straight hours this weekend, so now I'm hooked), or...
c) hell freezes over and I decide to subject myself to the conclusion of "The Last Templar." Now, we tried to watch this last night, we really did try, but somehow the once tolerable Mira Sorvino chasing after a "knight" on a horse that just beheaded a cop while the cops stand idly by, guns drawn, NOT firing at the sworded horsemen made me quickly turn off the TV and instead decide to finish reading The Watchmen so that I would be prepped for the movie come March. Not sure how I feel about the end of the book, but it certainly is not your average masked crusader story. More on that at a later date I'm sure.

Some interesting things on the web to check out tonight:

Trey Ellis (Novelist, Screenwriter, and Assistant Professor at Columbia University) breaks down the Obama inauguration speech at the Huffington Post:

"As a Zen Buddhist/Taoist I would probably have to check the box "non-believer" and I was shocked that our new President mentioned us at all and will be eternally grateful (O.K., for that alone I'll raise his grade to an A-). This is perhaps my favorite passage and the speech's first real serving of hope for a brighter future after the crisis has passed:

To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.


The most memorable passage and music to my ears. The magnanimity in the above passage is breathtaking." Read more of Ellis' breakdown after the jump.

Consumerist leads us this story about how New Jersey is trying to pass a bill that will require all high school seniors to take Finance 101. Man how I could have used that now that I'm staring at 45 grand worth of student loan debt.

Deadspin
looks into the growing threat that is the chicken wing shortage and its impending impact on Super Bowl XLIII:

"The Super Bowl is about one thing—filling your slobbery gullet with the greasiest ranch-flavored foods on the planet. But throw all that out the window this year, because your party has already been ruined.

Noted chicken separator Pilgrim's Pride Corp. filed for bankruptcy protection on December 1, which in these troubled times is not that unusual. The problem is that they supply roughly one quarter of the 24 billion "wing segments" that were eaten last year. This development has severely stunted chicken wing production and driven up prices across the country."

57-57 ND-Marquette with just a few minutes left. Time to go.

 
Top